Europe Night Train Network – loading
A network of night trains could fully connect more than 200 European cities. Some call it a dream network. We can only see if that plan comes into action! Would it be great to become a reality! Europe Night Train Network – loading
A solid comeback is underway for night trains facing urgent climate change action. According to Euronews, the aviation sector produces nearly 14% of the GHG emissions, making it the second largest source after road transport. As a result, there have been proposals by countries such as the Netherlands and Spain to ban flights that can be made by train in three hours or less.
The idea is to replace flights with train journeys.
Many media outlets have covered an innovative project presented by the Green party in Germany last September, in addition to the climate crisis and the increase in fuel prices.
Euro Night Sprinter would consist of 40 international long-distance lines in a trans-European network of night trains. From Lisbon to Moscow and from Helsinki to Malaga, it will connect over 200 cities and locations throughout Europe by 2030.
German Green Party
Based on current railway lines, the German Green party created a map inspired by the London Underground. All European countries should approve a system supported by fast, comfortable and quiet trains (200 to 250 kilometres per hour), resulting in journeys lasting nine to 14 hours on average.
The railway system needs to develop an intuitive reservation platform that all rail networks can use to create fair competition with flights. Europe’s various national rail networks would require a unified control and coordination system.
A majority of the world’s high-speed rail lines are present in Europe ( 60%), with the remaining 40% spread across Asia (30%), America and Africa (10%). As part of its 2030 goals for high-speed rail, the EU aims to double its current use by 2030 and triple it by 2050. The vision was announced during the Connecting Europe Days 2022, organized by the European Commission in Lyon, France. Several projects will boost the EU’s railway network, including cross-border links and connections to ports and airports.
A night train will be run several times a week between Barcelona and Amsterdam by the Dutch-Belgian rail company European Sleeper by the end of next year. As of December 10, 2023, the train should run three times a week from Amsterdam and make stops in the Netherlands, Belgium, and France to the Spanish city, but possibly earlier.
The Austrian train company OBB operates three-night trains weekly between Brussels and Vienna. However, the Brussels Times reports that Belgian authorities want the country to become a night train hub. Therefore, budgetary allocations have been made for this purpose.
Other parts of Europe continue to expand their rail networks. For example, from September 1, travellers can take the EuroNight train from Hamburg to Stockholm overnight. You can also visit the Danish capital of Copenhagen, Sweden’s southern coastal city of Malmö, and the history-rich university city of Lund along the way.
By connecting to other train services like Deutsche Bahn and Eurostar, travellers can complete the journey between Stockholm and London within one day. This means taking the train from Hamburg to Brussels, changing to Cologne, and then boarding the Eurostar.
Sustainable side of rail travel
Renewable energy powers the EuroNight train, according to Euronews. To minimize energy consumption, train conductors will use ‘freewheeling’ techniques while using hydropower and wind turbines. It involves turning off the engine and allowing the carriage to move forward on its own momentum.
Compared to air travel, rail travel emits just 22.4 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometre travelled, according to the European Environment Agency.
Many travellers are becoming more accepting of night trains, not only because they want to reduce their CO2 emissions but also because they want to travel more leisurely.
You can find out more about ground transportation and sustainability
Do not miss any exciting articles and news from us, so sign up for our monthly newsletter at the bottom of our page.